You have stumbled onto tbr.fyi, where I am experimenting with ways to keep track of my reading and other lists of books.
This is a work in progress. I’m using Astro to build the site, and Sanity.io to input the ISBNs of books I want to keep track of here, along with any descriptive info I want to add. A lot of info about the book is downloaded from APIs, like OpenLibrary and Google Books.
Here’s a brief outline of what I want this site to do:
- turn a set of ISBNs to create a shareable format (library.json) file representing a book collection
- generate a pleasing browsing experience for a book collection from any library.json file
- help foster some format (library.json or rss, etc.) to facilitate an indieweb replacement for goodreads - add details (ratings, summary, reviews) or use those pulled down with details (author, publisher, etc.) from APIs each of which you can override.
Other features I’ve built or am building in:
- choose “fulfillment actions” (e.g., buy on bookshop.org or your chosen bookstore, view on google books, find at a library, etc.) for books
- organize a collection onto shelves, and with long or short explanations of why those books belong together
- use an inventory file to also indicate which items you have (to sell, for example)
- import a goodreads collection, use a cms to create lists, or edit markdown files for shelves/collections
- compare one collection or shelf to another to find common items or titles new to you